- Potent (but safe) anti-inflammatory
- Effective treatment for inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's and ulcerative colitis)
- Relief for rheumatoid arthritis
- Possible help for cystic fibrosis sufferers
- Cancer prevention via it's antioxidant properties
- Inhibits cancer cell growth and metastases
- Halts prostate cancer when paired with cruciferous vegetables (i.e., cauliflower, cabbage, etc.)
- Reduce the risk of childhood leukemia
- Improves liver function
- Cardiovascular protection
- Protection against Alzheimer's disease
- Relief from menstrual pains, flatulence, jaundice, bloody urine, hemorrhage, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic
Phew! That is a long list of healing benefits! Are you running to the store yet?
One easy way to enjoy turmeric is by adding it to your morning smoothie. It blends nicely with the flavors in this particular one.
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango or pineapple
1 cup almond milk
1 Tbs coconut oil or coconut butter
1 Tbs chia seeds
1 tsp maca (natural stimulant)
1/2-1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp dried ginger (depending on how much kick you like)
Blend and enjoy!
Calming Creamy Turmeric Tea
Heat 1 cup almond milk over stove then stir in: 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, and 1 tsp honey. Drizzle extra honey on top and enjoy!
Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop one head cauliflower into small florets and place on oven pan. Drizzle with 2 Tbs olive oil and sprinkle with turmeric (amount up to you and your taste buds) and cumin. Toss to coat and roast for 20-30 minutes until cauliflower has started to soften and brown. Add in 1/4 cup golden raisins and 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds for the last 5 minutes and enjoy! If roasting isn't your thing you could also follow this recipe and saute instead.
Other great ways to enjoy turmeric: add to egg salad (if that is your thing), curries or salad dressings for a bright hue and a healthy boost.
If you're up for more detailed reading on this wonder spice check out this page.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy turmeric?